Sunday, November 1, 2009

Timezone arithmetic 7 and signing off

The jump from Paris to Kuala Lumpur is from UTC+1 to UTC+8. That's a big difference of 7 hours and it's west to east, the difficult direction.

I have a method of dealing with this that I call The Flip. Problem is I don't know how well it works or even if it really does. I may be imagining it. But here it is for what it's worth.

There are two lows in the body activity, one during the normal sleep at night and a smaller one in the afternoon (the siesta!). The idea is to turn the smaller low into the normal night sleep. So you have to have been in the habit of taking an afternoon nap in the days before returning, which could be a small impracticality given that you don't want to waste any touring time. Say you have been napping at 1600 in Paris. This is 2300 in KL. Just go to KL and try to sleep longer on your "nap" at 2300. But you will find yourself waking up at 2 or 3 am. Oh well.

The blog ends here as I will be spending time with my family in KL and those activities are not of general interest. There may be some supplementary posts to fill in gaps for the final days, but otherwise this is me signing off.

No comments:

Post a Comment