Monday, September 21, 2009

Pontevedra

Pontevedra is a city roughly midway between Vigo and Santiago. It has a bridge that dates back to Roman times and still carries traffic. Other claims to fame are that Columbus's Santa Maria was built here, before the port silted up, and that the Portuguese Camino runs through here.


In some streets in the old town you can see handpainted yellow arrows intended to guide pilgrims through the city. The route runs across the bridge, as this marker near the bridge shows.


I wandered through the old city looking for a likely lunch establishment but didn't find one. On way back from taking those two pictures, I came across a festival of Galician seafood being held in a tent in a city plaza.


Here's what I had, a shellfish risotto basically. A much better catch than a restaurant. And it was only one street away from the one I walked down towards the bridge. Good thing I was picky.

No comments:

Post a Comment