Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Porto

Well, that was a long trip: 8.5 hours to KL, 3 hours layover, 12.5 hours to Paris, 7 hours layover, then 2 hours to Porto. Just thinking about it makes me feel tired so I'll write another blog about that journey later perhaps.

Porto has a shiny new airport which looks underused. I'm sure Easyjet and Ryanair are welcome carriers of visitors here.

It has a new metro too and today is a fare free day as part of a public transport initiative.

People have been very helpful. A metro station employee showed me how to use the vending machine, selecting the right zones. I forgot to print out the directions to the Yellow House so I asked people for directions a couple of times. Inspite of my problems pronouncing Portuguese as they expected it, I was directed here.

This place is charming and clean. Rooms are a bit cramped as it is also a narrow house but that's ok if you are going to be spending the day touring anyay.

There's is even a cute kitten who delivers herself to your bed in the morning. More likely in search of a feed. Here she is, taking a lot of interest in a bump under the blanket which happens to be my foot.

Porto is somewhat west of its nominal timezone meridian so even this close to the equinox, dusk falls late. The downside is that it dawns late too. That partly explains the late breakfast hour of 9 am here. It may also be that the younger residents like to enjoy the Porto nightlife. But some just arrived last night and could hardly have had the chance to.

As expected, I'm fading out in the early evening from jet lag. At least with a netbook I can type away before anybody else is up.

No comments:

Post a Comment