Friday, October 9, 2009

Cellular?

"Carteira? Cellular?" asked the woman at the X-ray scanner, as I prepared to go through the metal detector. My wallet was already in the daypack and I don't have a mobile with me so I replied "Não tenho." She flashed what seemed like a look of pity. Everyone, but everyone, it seems, has a mobile in this country. Even small towns have a mobile phone shop. That's not so surprising when mobile technology can leapfrog landline technology and bring phone connections to the masses in less developed countries, but what impressed me was the coverage of this huge country. Passengers in a bus would be bumping along some dirt track in the middle of nowhere and then you would hear a ring tone.


Then again, it could have been the torn jeans I was wearing.

No comments:

Post a Comment