Thursday, October 22, 2009

Goodbye Brazil

Brazil doesn't let go of you that easily. While I was having dinner at the airport, a handful of urchins came over to beg for food. I didn't want to give them money but I thought perhaps I should buy them some food but by the time I had this idea they had moved on. I guess they slipped in through the car park from the neighbourhood; Recife's airport is in an urban area. Poverty is never far away in Brazil.

Then the check-in clerk wasn't sure what the rules were for Aussies entering Schengen and asked colleagues, then checked the rule book. I assured him that I was within the 90 day allowance. I take this to mean they don't get many Aussies in that part of the world.

So for my time in Brazil I have insect bites and hiking scratches on my legs. Brazilian pavements also made me stub my toe a couple of times. Of course I have more, I have great pictures and memories of a warm people. I hope the future will be kinder to them. Life for so many Brazilians seemed to be subsistential and improvised. Nature is bountiful but many people seemed to lack either the means, knowledge or incentive to go beyond gathering.

For me it was a harder destination than usual. Backpacker tourism in the northeast of Brazil is underdeveloped; information about services is lacking, and you really need to learn some Portuguese to survive. As if to stress the potential for improvement, Ministry of Tourism market researchers interviewed departees while we were waiting in the departure lounge. One question intrigued me: Why Brazilian beaches and not Carribean beaches? Well, they are unique, I said, and of course the locals are friendly.

No comments:

Post a Comment