Thursday, October 22, 2009

Timezone arithmetic 5

I am now neither on the South American nor the European continent. I'm on the island of Madeira, about 1000 km southwest from Lisboa and about 600 km from Morocco.

In flying from Brazil to Portugal I have moved from UTC-3 to UTC+1 since Portugal will be on DST until this coming Sunday. (A previous version of this post got the zones wrong, but the difference correct.) Madeira is in the same timezone as mainland Portugal which makes it simple. But this makes it much west of its timezone meridian so the sun sets later, like around 1930.

The direction of change is such that the locals are feeling sleepy before I am. So I have to learn to go to bed earlier. It's harder going from west to east because the body clock tends to want to run with a period > 24 hours. But for 4 hours difference I think I will cope.

No comments:

Post a Comment