Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Tram 28

Even though I took an ordinary bus to Madeira airport very early at 0715 (the airport shuttle doesn't start until 0800), the incoming Easyjet flight was delayed due to fog in Lisboa.  This would reduce the time for a quick tour of Lisboa using tram 28 so I had second thoughts about spending money both ways on the shuttle for a few hours. In the end I decided I couldn't stand doing nothing at the airport so I put my backpack in left luggage and went into town on the shuttle.

Tram 28 was very jerky as expected with steep rises and sudden swings.  This is the one they usually use/used in movies with Lisboa trams. Lots of other tourists were also on the tram. Unfortunately I didn't have a good seat to get the best shots. Never mind, this tram is much photographed.  When the tram reached Bairro Alta I decided it was sufficient and hopped off.  Fortunately the hostel had told me about the metro elevators that are very useful for moving between Baixa and Alta.

Then it was to a pastry shop for coffee and nata but I changed my mind, or rather the nata, when I saw the maça asada folhada (baked apple foldover).

My original plan had been to take the overnight train from Lisboa to Madrid, but since Portuguese Railways made it difficult for me to buy a ticket when I last passed through, if you remember, I decided that they didn't need my patronage and I instead bought a cheap Easyjet ticket to Madrid and booked a hotel room. Comes up to more that a sleeping berth, but I will have a very nice night's sleep. I deserve some urban pampering at the end of this trip anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment